Monday 8 July 2013

No, its not over just because I crossed the line.....

JOG ON CANCER
... in 29 mins and 19 seconds to be exact, on one of the first hot days of British summer 2013.  I had just completed the Epsom 5k for Race For Life Cancer Research. My eyes were set ahead on a bottle of water, which I glugged down in about 30 seconds, followed by another 2!! I made my way back through a crowed of pink spectators cheering on the runners - ''Jog on Cancer'' ''Watch out Cancer... We're coming to get you''!!! - to our designated meeting place and plonked myself down on the ground. It had only been 5k but that was enough in this heat!!

Looking slightly crazed at the end!!
We had arrived a few hours earlier (I was running as part of my boarding house group) in our minibus. We had parked up, and got our numbers (mine was 20033) and positioned ourselves around the front of the stage where a man appeared to get us all moving and warmed up for the run. Then the event manager appeared and taught us all the 'race4life' dance which we then proceeded to do. We then were divided into 3 groups; the 'runners', the 'joggers' and the 'walkers' . I positioned myself at the back of the runners/the front of the joggers - this was my first fundraising run and I had no idea about the standard!! The horn blew and we were off - racing for life!! My friend disappeared off into the distance and I gradually moved away from the group. The course was quite tricky -uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill, then up hill again!!!
Yep - there's the top

The atmosphere was what can best be described as happy!! There were huge cheer's from the spectators, children running around, runners smiling as they crossed the line, on by one. Of course there were the promotional people from companies giving away free drinks etc who added to the good atmosphere.. Every one was dressed in pink - some had T-shirts with slogans; some had dressed up their dogs!! Including my house staff - one of which was wearing exactly the same top as me!! :/ slightly awkward, but oh well!! Another even had its on doggy baby grow :/

Dressed up smartly for Race4Life!!
The 'doggy-grow'!!

After we had all completed the race we decided to stay a bit longer in the sunshine - it was really nice and at 2 hours and 20 minuets the final 'racer' crossed the line - we all lined the path and cheered!! 

I would strongly recommend entering in a race for life event next time, no matter what your ability or background. Its well worth the day out and the money goes to such a good cause... ''as we race for life... others fight for life''..... 

Flags flying high for Race For Life



No comments:

Post a Comment